The bachelor of science in Childhood and Early Childhood Education (B-6) with liberal arts concentration prepares Russell Sage College students for NYS teacher certification, grades Birth-6. Students will have the opportunity for extensive formalized experience in school settings. Requirements for admission include a minimum GPA of 3.000. Students have the option of extending their certification to include Middle Childhood and through Russell Sage College Graduate School may complete graduate degrees required for professional certification. With careful planning of the undergraduate program, students may accelerate their graduate study by beginning graduate coursework in the senior year. [Childhood and Early Childhood Education, 69-70 credits + Liberal Arts & Sciences concentration credits]
Liberal Arts & Sciences Concentration
Students in the childhood and early childhood education program must also complete a liberal arts concentration in one of the following areas: English, Foreign Language (Spanish), History, or Life Science.
- Complete all of the following:
Middle Childhood Certification, Grades 7-9 (optional)
Middle Childhood Education is not a stand-alone program. Students matriculated in Childhood and Early Childhood Education with a concentration area (grades Birth-6) may elect to expand the age range of their certification to include preparation for teaching in middle school (grades 7-9).
Students desiring the Middle Childhood Certification must complete their Childhood & Early Childhood Education/concentration program requirements and also complete the following courses.
- Cumulative GPA: to enroll in and remain in a Childhood & Early Childhood Education program, students must have and maintain an overall Cumulative grade point average of 3.000 or higher.
- Major GPA: students must achieve and maintain a major GPA of 3.000 or higher in all major course requirements prior to entry into the methods courses (EDU 300 level courses).
- To be eligible for student teaching, a student must have achieved a 3.000 or higher cumulative average.
- Students must earn course grade ofs “C” orhigher (2.000) in all courses required in the major program (including support and concentration courses).
- All students in education are required to subscribe to a designated portfolio system.
- U.S. citizenship or declaration of intent to become a U.S. citizen is required for teacher certification in New York State.
- Successful passage of the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (LAST, ATS-W) is required of all applicants seeking certification.
- Applicants for New York state certification will have to be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal history review. The cost of this process will be the applicant’s responsibility. The Education Office will provide information on how to meet this requirement.
- One student teaching experience must be at the 1-3 grade level and one at the 4-6 grade level. Students are personally responsible for transportation arrangements in connection with student teaching assignments.
- All education courses required in Childhood Education, including the non-credit workshops, must be completed before beginning student teaching.
- Data on placement of graduates: www.sage.edu/academics/schools/education/
Degree Completion Notes
- Total credits required for a bachelor's degree (minimum): 120 credits
- Cumulative GPA required for graduation (minimum): 3.000
- Major GPA required for graduation (minimum): 3.000
- 1/2 of major requirements must be completed at Sage (minimum)
- Completion of all required General Education coursework