Childhood Education (B.S.)
The bachelor of science in childhood education (grades1-6) with liberal arts major program prepares students for NYS teacher certification. Students will have the opportunity for extensive formalized experience in school settings. Requirements for admission include a minimum GPA of 3.000. Students have the option of extending their certification to include Middle Childhood and through Russell Sage College Graduate School may complete graduate degrees required for professional certification. With careful planning of the undergraduate program, students may accelerate their graduate study by beginning graduate coursework in the senior year. [Childhood Education, 67-68 credits + Liberal Arts & Sciences major]
Liberal Arts & Sciences Major:
Students who wish to qualify for an initial certificate for a teaching position in New York state (grades 1-6) must complete a liberal arts major in one of the following areas listed below.
- English/Childhood Education (B.S.)
- History/Childhood Education (B.S.)
- Life Science/Childhood Education (B.S.)
- To enter or remain an Education major, a student must achieve/maintain an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.000.
- Students must achieve and maintain a cumulative average of 3.000 in all Childhood Education major course requirements prior to entry into the methods courses (300-level EDU courses).
- To be eligible for student teaching, a student must have achieved a 3.000 cumulative average in teacher education coursework.
- Students must earn a grade of C or better (2.000) in all courses required for the Childhood Education program (including EDU and Support courses).
- Students must maintain a 3.000 cumulative average in their liberal arts major.
- All students in education are required to subscribe to a designated electronic portfolio system.
- Complete all of the following:
*Studio ART/DAN/MUS class may be taken in place of VPA 111.
- U.S. citizenship or declaration of intent to become a U.S. citizen is required for teacher certification in New York State.
- Successful passage of the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (LAST, ATS-W) is required of all applicants seeking certification.
- Applicants for New York state certification will have to be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal history review. The cost of this process will be the applicant’s responsibility. The Education Office will provide information on how to meet this requirement.
- One student teaching experience must be at the 1-3 grade level and one at the 4-6 grade level. Students are personally responsible for transportation arrangements in connection with student teaching assignments. All education courses required in Childhood Education, including the non-credit workshops, must be completed before beginning student teaching.
- Data on placement of graduates is available at http://www.sage.edu/academics/schoolofeducation/education/index.php
Optional Middle Childhood Education
Middle Childhood Education is an option that may be combined with childhood education. Middle Childhood Education is not a stand-alone program. Specifically, students completing childhood education (grades 1-6) may elect to expand the age range of their certification to include preparation for teaching in middle school (grades 7-9).
Childhood Education: Liberal Arts Optional Middle Childhood Education
Degree Completion Notes
- Total credits required for bachelor degree (minimum): 120 credits
- Cumulative GPA required for graduation (minimum): 3.000
- Major GPA required for graduation (minimum): 3.000
- 1/2 of major requirements must be completed at Sage (minimum)
- Completion of all required General Education coursework