Leave of Absence or Withdrawing from the College

Leave of Absence/Temporary Hiatus

Students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence (temporary hiatus) by contacting the Student Life Office (Dean of Students, [email protected]), by the last day of classes for that semester. Leaves of absence are not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and to assist in completing the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with the Academic Dean, and/or faculty advisor, and program director.

Financial adjustments, if applicable, are made according to the published tuition adjustment schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect their financial aid eligibility, as well as progress toward degree completion.

Withdrawing from the College

Both commuting and residential students who wish to withdraw from the College initiate the process by contacting the Student Life Office (Dean of Students, [email protected]). At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters.

Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance. Students who wish to re-enroll should contact the Admission Office ([email protected]) for re-admission procedures.

Matriculation Changes

If students do not follow the leave of absence procedures outlined above, they are Administratively Withdrawn (loss of matriculation/in-activated).* Students who are approved for re-enrollment are matriculated through readmission process under the most recent RSC Catalog. This rule requires returning students to take the latest requirements. *Note: evening/continuing education students will be administratively withdrawn after 1 year on inactivity.