The study of history is essential to an understanding of world events, from the transformation of Eastern Europe to developments in contemporary China or Africa. History is also critical to understanding movements shaping modern times, from the evolution of U.S. foreign and domestic policy to revolutions in modern science and technology. At Russell Sage College, a major in history can include, along with traditional courses in United States and Western Civilization, extended investigation of the rich diversity of the global historical experience. Courses with regional emphasis on East Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East are complemented by methodological and thematic courses on such themes as women’s history and oral history. Often described as a liberal arts education in itself, the study of history includes political, economic, social, religious, artistic, and intellectual aspects of humanity. [46 credits]
I. History Core
- Complete all of the following:
II. History Electives
- Complete seven history courses (HST) representing a range of world regions. At least three of these should be selected from the 200-300 level (more topically and regionally focused) courses.
- Recommended: Students should select at least one course that substantially addresses the history of each of the following areas: African, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the United States. We encourage students to fulfill part of this requirement through an internship or study abroad.
Complete one Pathway option listed below.
- Note: additional pathways may be individually defined by students in consultation with their history advisors.
Pathway: American Studies
- Note: a student may opt to complete the English Capstone (ENG 405) in place of HST 401, with department approval.
Pathway: International Globalization Studies
Pathway: Public History
Degree Completion Notes
- Total credits required for a bachelor's degree (minimum): 120 credits
- Cumulative GPA required for graduation (minimum): 2.000
- Major GPA required for graduation (minimum): 2.200
- 1/2 of major requirements must be completed at Sage (minimum)
- Completion of all required General Education coursework