Russell Sage College is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable, and productive living and work environment for our faculty, staff, administrators and students and a healthy, comfortable, and safe environment for our visitors.
In keeping with Sage’s commitment to protect and promote the health of its employees, students, visitors, and other campus constituencies, and the public in general, it is Sage’s policy to provide a tobacco and smoke/vaping-free environment in all college facilities and outdoor areas for all employees, students and visitors, in full conformance with applicable status including the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act (Public Helath Law Article 13-E).
Due to the acknowledged health hazards arising from tobacco products, including exposure to secondhand smoke, the following rules apply in all college facilities and outdoor areas:
- The use of tobacco, tobacco-related products, e-cigarettes, or vaping devices is prohibited in or on any Sage College facility or property (as defined below), that is owned or leased by Sage, at any time.
- The use of tobacco, tobacco-related products, e-cigarettes, or vaping devices is prohibited in any Sage College vehicle at any time.
- The sale of tobacco, tobacco-related products, e-cigarettes, or vaping products on any Sage campus (as defined below) is prohibited.
- The use of advertisements for tobacco, tobacco-related products, e-cigarettes, or vaping products is prohibited in Sage-sponsored publications.
These rules apply to all employees, students and visitors of Sage. Violations of this Policy may result in disciplinary action under the Student Code of Conduct, Employee Handbook, and/or any applicable collective bargaining agreements.
As Sage works toward its goal of keeping Sage campuses free of litter from tobacco, tobacco-related products, e-cigarettes, or vaping devices, please be respectful of the surrounding communities and private properties located in proximity of Sage campuses.
“Tobacco” and “tobacco products” - includes tobacco of any kind, including the use of smokeless tobacco, “spit” tobacco, electronic cigarettes, vaping devices, cigars, cigarettes, pipes or any other smoking material or device.
“Vaping” - the use of an electronic cigarette or e-cigarette.
“Electronic cigarette” or “e-cigarette” - an electronic device that delivers vapor which is inhaled by an individual user, and shall include any refill, cartridge and any other component of such a device
“Sage facility or property” - any campus building, owned or leased, including but not limited to: private offices, lounges, dining areas, recreational facilities, all college owned, leased or rented vehicles, and any personally owned, leased or rented vehicles parked on Sage property.
“Sage campus” - Any college outdoor area that is open to access by the public or campus community, including but not limited to parking lots, sidewalks, athletic fields, lawn areas and any institute facility entrance or egress.
Albany Campus - The area within the borders of New Scotland Avenue on the North, Academy Road on the West, the fence separating Sage and Parsons on the South, and the tree line adjacent to the parking lots on the East. Also included is the Armory Building and surrounding property.
Troy Campus - The outdoor areas within the borders of Congress Street on the North, First Street on the West, Division Street on the South, and Second Street on the East, as well as the following properties: 17-33 Congress Street (1 Park Place), 46 First Street, 30 Congress Street, 51-107 First Street, 86-90 First Street, 74 First Street, 92 First Street, 96-102 First Street, 111 Second Street, 100 River Street, 10 Division Street, 12 Division Street, 14 Division Street, 111 First Street, 113 First Street, 115 First Street, 117 First Street, 68 River Street, 1-7 Gale Place, 133 First Street, 63-65 First Street, 101 Liberty Street, 51 Congress Street, 45-49 Congress Street, 53-55 Congress Street, Franklin Street, 61 Ferry Street, 113 Second Street, 35-37 Division Street, 106 Second Street, 127 Third Street, 159 Third Street, 140 Second Street.
Enforcement of Tobacco Free Policy
- Enforcement of the Russell Sage College Tobacco Free policy shall be the responsibility of the entire Sage community. Students, faculty, staff and administrators are expected to fairly, politely and firmly engage in peer enforcement, and when required, report violations of the policy to supervisors. Enforcement of the policy be in a manner of “progressive discipline.”
- For the purpose of this policy, “Supervisors” shall mean: (i) appropriate Dean of Students for students; (ii) immediate supervisor for staff and administrators; (iii) department chair or academic Dean for faculty members.
- Any student or employee of Russell Sage College who observes or otherwise suspects that another person in using tobacco products on any property or in any vehicle owned or leased by Sage shall promptly, firmly and politely advise that person of the tobacco free policy. If the person is a member of the Sage community and refuses to comply, the immediate supervisor of the offending party should be immediately notified.
- If the offending person is not a member of the Sage community and refuses to comply, Public Safety should be contacted to escort the offending person off campus.
- Any student or employee of Russell Sage College who observes or otherwise suspects that another person is using tobacco or tobacco products on any property or in any vehicle owned or leased by Sage and who has been advised of the policy for a previous violation, shall immediately notify the supervisor of the offending party.
- Upon notification of a supervisor, the supervisor shall arrange a meeting with the offending person. During the meeting, the supervisor shall: (i) reiterate the Sage Tobacco Free policy, (ii) discuss the reasons for the policy, (iii) discuss the benefits of the policy, (iv) discuss strategies for assisting the employee in complying with the policy, (v) discuss the resources available for smoking cessation, and (vi) reprimand the offender for the policy violation.
- Upon notification of a supervisor of a subsequent violation of the policy by the same offender, the supervisor shall prepare a written reprimand (3 copies) for the offender that contains items 1, 4 and 5 as above and further advises the offender that future violations of the policy will result in serious disciplinary action, up to and including termination from employment or expulsion from studies at Sage. Any subsequent disciplinary action would be determined according to the appropriate student/employee/faculty handbook or union contract. The supervisor shall have the offender sign and return one copy of the reprimand, retain one copy for self, and forward the third copy to Human Resources.
- Subsequent violations of the policy by the same person shall result in a level of discipline that: (i) convinces the offending party to comply with the Tobacco Free policy, and (ii) demonstrates to the Sage community the importance of compliance with the Tobacco Free policy.
*Anyone organizing an event that brings outsiders to campus is responsible for communicating this policy to its attendees. Visitors to campus in violation of this policy will be informed of the policy and if they refuse to comply will be removed from campus.*
As we work towards the goal of keeping the Sage campuses free of tobacco litter, please be respectful of the surrounding communities and private properties located in proximity of our campuses.