Students who are admitted to the College under 4+3 undergraduate major program are guaranteed continuation into the Doctor of Physical Therapy program (DPT), providing all prerequisite courses and undergraduate degree program requirements are met. Students who are admitted to the 4+3 program complete the bachelor’s degree in four years (undergraduate majors: Biology (BA), Health Sciences, Psychology, Sociology) and the DPT program in three years.
Undergraduate transfer students who have completed courses at other institutions may progress into the DPT program, with acceptance based on space availability, students’ qualifications, and previous college coursework. Transfer students must complete a minimum of 45 undergraduate credits at RSC prior to entering the DPT program, during which time Russell Sage College undergraduate major coursework, general education requirements, and DPT program course prerequisites must be completed. In some cases it may take more than three terms to complete.
The baccalaureate degree is awarded from RSC in the spring of the fourth year. The DPT degree is awarded from Russell Sage College at the end of the seventh year. The first formal review for eligibility to progress into the DPT program will occur at the end of the fall semester of the fourth year (undergraduate). Students not meeting the requirements for continuation at that time will be re-reviewed at the end of the spring semester. If they meet the requirements at that time, they will be admitted on a space-available basis. See sage.edu/academics/schools/health-sciences/physical-therapy-programs/ for more information.
Admission Requirements for the DPT program
- Earned GPA of 3.000 or higher for all college coursework
- Earned Science GPA of 3.000 or higher in the prerequisite science lab coursework
- Completion of all DPT prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher
- Completion of at least 40 hours of physical therapy clinical observation under the direction of a licensed physical therapist before beginning the professional program
- Completion of the bachelor's degree prior to beginning PTY coursework
Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses
BIO 201 Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab (4cr)
BIO 202 Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab (4cr)
CHM 103 Intro to Gen Chem with Lab (4cr)
CHM 104 Intro to Organic & Biochem with Lab (4cr)
CHM 111 General Chem I with Lab (4cr)
CHM 112 General Chem II with Lab (4cr)
PHY 101 Physics I with Lab (4cr)
PHY 102 Physics II with Lab (4cr)
Two courses in Biology with Lab (not botany):
BIO 208 Microbiology with Lab (4cr)
BIO 220 Cell Biology with Lab (4cr)
BIO 415 Cell & Molecular Biology with Lab (4cr)
PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology (3cr)
Statistics Course (3cr-4cr)
Progression Process (4+3 students)
Procedures for Progression into the DPT Program
By December 1 of the fourth year, students progressing into the DPT Program will:
1. Arrange for a meeting with their DPT Program Director
2. Complete DPT application forms (Academic Standards Statement, Clinical Observation Document, Prerequisite Form) available from the PT Department office.
3. Submit transcripts from all college institutions attended (if not already on file)
4. Provide a current resume
5. Submit one letter of recommendation from a Sage faculty member
6. Submit a career goals essay.
High School Applicants:
Students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT directly from high school are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT providing all prerequisite courses, academic and program requirements are met in the 4+3 program. The successful high school applicant will meet admission requirements to RSC.
Transfer students who have completed courses at another institution may apply for admission to RSC for the Bachelor’s degree leading to the Doctor of Physical Therapy. Transfer students who are admitted to major program with a DPT track are guaranteed continuation into the DPT providing all prerequisite undergraduate courses, academic and program requirements are met. The successful transfer applicant will demonstrate the following academic profile:
- Earned overall 3.000 GPA for all college coursework
- Earned Science GPA of at least 3.000 in DPT Program prerequisite science coursework: Anatomy & Physiology I and II; Cell Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry I and II; and Physics I and II (28 credits)
- Minimum grade of “C” or better in all PT Program prerequisite courses to be transferred from another institution.
Russell Sage College has articulation agreements with many institutions that provide a seamless transfer into the DPT program. For more information about the agreements please visit https://www.sage.edu/about/community-resources/consumer-information/articulation-agreements/.