Interdisciplinary Studies (B.A. or B.S.)
In addition to those majors offered in the regular college curriculum, students may design an interdisciplinary studies major to accommodate particular academic interests. The proposed interdisciplinary studies major must specify at least 36 credits total from at least two disciplines, and at least one of the areas of interest must be drawn from courses required in a currently offered Russell Sage College major. At least one-half of the credits required for the interdisciplinary major must be in upper-division courses. Admission to RSC does not guarantee an interdisciplinary proposal will be accepted.
Students should first consult with the Department Chairs (or Program Directors) in the affected disciplines to create a written proposal¹ explaining their areas of interest and listing the courses that will enable students to achieve their objectives. This proposal must be approved by the Department Chairperson in each affected discipline and by the Dean of the College.
¹Student proposal form is available in Passport - Student Information & Forms link (see Academic Advising menu).
- 36 or more credits
- coursework from at least two disciplines (one discipline must be a current undergraduate major offered at Sage)
- half of credits in proposal must be upper division coursework
Degree Completion Notes
- Total credits required for bachelor degree (minimum): 120 credits
- Cumulative GPA required for graduation (minimum): 2.000
- Major GPA required for graduation (minimum): 2.200
- 1/2 of major requirements must be completed at Sage (minimum)
- Completion of all required General Education coursework
- B.A. degree requires completion of 90 liberal arts & sciences credits/B.S. degree requires completion of 60 liberal arts & sciences credits