Aug 17, 2019
Men and Women entering Sage College of Albany from high school or transferring from another undergraduate institution may complete a bachelor’s degree in any undergraduate major (e.g., Business Administration; Creative Studies, Public Affairs and Public Policy; Law & Society; Information Design; Computer Information Systems; Web Development; and Interdisciplinary Studies) along with the DPT program prerequisites (Anatomy & Physiology I & II; Physics I & II; General Chemistry I & II; Cell & Molecular Biology; Human Development; Intro to Psychology; and Statistics). Students entering the 4+3 Program must meet SCA admission requirements. Qualified students who meet the DPT program GPA requirements (3.0 overall and 3.0 in science prerequisites) are guaranteed admission to the DPT Program and enter the graduate DPT Program the summer following their fourth year.
Prerequisite Support Courses for Admission into the Professional Program
The following courses must be completed prior to beginning the professional program.
Academic Requirements to progress or accelerate into the Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Completion of the bachelor’s degree and DPT Program prerequisite courses prior to beginning the DPT Program (4+3 students only).
- Completion of a minimum of one year in residence at SCA to meet the undergraduate major and general education requirements and DPT Program prerequisites (3+3 students only).
- Earned minimum of grade of “C” or better in all DPT Program prerequisite courses
- Earned overall GPA of at least 3.0 for all college coursework
- Earned science GPA of at least 3.0 in DPT Program prerequisite science coursework (Anatomy & Physiology I and II, Cell Biology, Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II)
- Completion of at least 40 hours of physical therapy clinical observation under the direction of a licensed physical therapist before beginning the professional program.
- Completion of at least 90 undergraduate credits by the end of the 3rd undergraduate year (3+3 students only)
- Completion of the acceleration 3+3 process (3+3 students only)
- Completion of the progression process (4+3 students only)
High School Applicants: Admission Requirements for the 4+3 Program
Men and women students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT directly from high school are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT providing all prerequisite courses and academic requirements are met in the Applied Biology/ PT 4+3 program. The successful high school applicant will meet admission requirements to SCA.
Transfer Applicants to the 4+3 Program
Transfer students who have completed courses at another institution may apply for admission to SCA for the Applied Biology/PT 4+3 bachelor’s degree leading to the Doctor of Physical Therapy. The successful transfer applicant will demonstrate the following academic profile:
- Overall 3.0 GPA for all college coursework
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in PT Program prerequisite science coursework completed to date (Anatomy & Physiology I and II; Cell Biology Chemistry I and II; and Physics I and II)
- Minimum grade of “C” or better in all PT Program prerequisite courses to be transferred from another institution
Procedures for Progression/Acceleration into the DPT Program
By January 15 of the fourth year (4+3 program) or third year (3+3 Program,) students progressing or accelerating into the DPT Program will:
- Arrange for a meeting with the DPT Program faculty
- Complete DPT Program application forms (Academic Standards Statement, Clinical Observation Document, Prerequisite Form) available from the Physical Therapy Department office or the web page: http://www.sage.edu/academics/schoolofnursingandhealthsciences/physicaltherapy
- Submit transcripts from all college institutions attended
- Provide a current resume
- Submit one professional letter of recommendation
- Submit a career goals essay; and,
- Submit a list of courses in progress and planned during the remainder of the undergraduate program.