Nov 30, 2020
Students who are admitted to the 4+3 program at RSC complete the bachelor’s degree in four years. This program allows greater latitude for taking additional elective courses of interest to the student and may be more conducive to success. Women students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT Program are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT Program at Sage Graduate School providing all prerequisite courses and academic requirements are met during completion of the 4+3 program.
The baccalaureate degree is awarded from RSC in the spring of the fourth year. The Doctor of Physical Therapy is awarded from Sage Graduate School at the end of the seventh year. The first formal review for eligibility to progress into the professional program will occur after the fall semester of the fourth year at RSC.
Prerequisite Support Courses for Admission into the Professional Program
The following courses must be completed prior to beginning the professional program.
Select one Chemistry sequence (NS): 8 Credits
Select one Physics sequence (NS): 8 Credits
Select one Statistics Course (QR): 3 Credits
NS: Fulfills RSC Natural Science general education course
SS: Fulfills RSC Social Science general education course
QR: Fulfills RSC Quantitative Reasoning general education course
Academic Requirements to progress or accelerate into the Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Completion of the bachelor’s degree and DPT Program prerequisite courses prior to beginning the DPT Program (4+3 students only).
- Completion of a minimum of one year in residence at RSC to meet the undergraduate major and general education requirements and DPT Program prerequisites (3+3 students only).
- Earned minimum of grade of “C” or better in all DPT Program prerequisite courses Earned overall GPA of at least 3.0 for all college coursework Earned science GPA of at least 3.0 in DPT Program prerequisite science coursework (Anatomy & Physiology I and II, Cell Biology, Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II)
- Completion of at least 40 hours of physical therapy clinical observation under the direction of a licensed physical therapist before beginning the professional program.
- Completion of at least 90 undergraduate credits by the end of the 3rd undergraduate year (3+3 students only)
- Completion of the acceleration 3+3 process (3+3 students only)
- Completion of the progression process (4+3 students only)
Procedures for Progression/Acceleration into the DPT Program
By January 15 of the fourth year (4+3 program) or third year (3+3 Program,) students progressing or accelerating into the DPT Program will:
- Arrange for a meeting with the DPT Program faculty
- Complete DPT Program application forms (Academic Standards Statement, Clinical Observation Document, Prerequisite Form) available from the Physical Therapy Department office or the web page: http://www.sage.edu/academics/schoolofnursingandhealthsciences/physicaltherapy
- Submit transcripts from all college institutions attended
- Provide a resume
- Submit one professional letter of recommendation
- Submit a career goals essay; and,
- Submit a list of courses in progress and planned during the remainder of the undergraduate program.