Requirements for Graduation
The ultimate responsibility for fulfilling graduation requirements rests with the individual student. Students should regularly review their academic programs with their advisors to make certain that requirements for degrees are being met.
The Sage Colleges confer Bachelor’s degrees three times each year: August, December and May. However, a Commencement ceremony is held only once, in May. Students become candidates for degree conferral upon the filing of a completed “Graduation Application” (includes a fee) with the Student Services/Registrar’s office.
The filing deadlines are:
- October 1 for December degree conferral
- February 15 for May degree conferral
- June 1 for August degree conferral
Candidates for graduation in May of a calendar year may participate in the Commencement ceremonies. Those who have completed all requirements for the degree will receive their diplomas and be identified as graduates. A student may participate in Commencement ceremonies only once in connection with completion of a particular degree.
Graduation Requirements for Bachelor’s Degrees
- A minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average
- A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for the baccalaureate degree.
- Students must complete at least half the major at Sage.
- Thirty of the last 45 credit hours must be completed in residence.
- Students must satisfy general education as well as major requirements and must maintain satisfactory standards of scholarship to be eligible for graduation.
- A Bachelor of Science degree (BS) must include a minimum of 60 credit hours in the liberal arts and science.
- A Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA) must include a minimum of 30 credit hours in the liberal arts and science.
- Major Requirements: In order to earn a bachelor’s degree, students must successfully complete a major. At least 30 credits are required for such completion, but specific requirements will vary widely from one academic area to another. These are prescribed by the program’s faculty and set forth in the Sage College of Albany catalog. A minimum grade point average of 2.2 is required for all courses taken to complete a major, including required support courses, unless otherwise noted by academic department. All students must take at least half of the major at The Sage Colleges. The determination of standards of performance acceptable for continuance in a major is the responsibility of the appropriate academic department and the Dean of the College.
A minor is a coherent group of courses that allows students to explore, in a structured way, an area of interest outside the major. Each minor is defined by one or several academic departments and consists of at least five one-semester courses usually totaling 18 to 20 credits. Minors are commonly declared at the end of the sophomore year but may be declared any time before the second term of the senior year or before completion of 105 credit hours, whichever comes later. Minors are designated on student transcripts along with the major if all requirements are met, including a GPA in the minor of at least 2.2. Students must complete at least one half of the courses required for a minor at Sage.
Second Bachelor’s Degree
Students may apply up to 75 credit hours from a previous degree toward a second degree at Sage College of Albany. A minimum of 45 additional hours must be earned at Sage, and will include at least half the major field requirements for the second degree, as well as, any additional or new general education requirements that cannot be met by credits from the first degree.