Skip to Navigation
[Placeholder Image] | MySage | SageAdvisor | Directory
    Sage Colleges
  Sep 20, 2020
Skip Navigation


Declaration of Status

Students returning to college or attending for the first time may take up to 9 credits without applying for admission to the College. To enroll for additional credits, students must either matriculate or select Visiting Student Status.

Visiting Student Status (Non-Matriculation)

Visiting students are those who do not intend to earn a certificate or degree from Sage. They are not eligible for financial aid and are not assigned an academic advisor. Credits accumulated as a visiting student do not necessarily count toward a certificate or degree program. Students must meet and show proof that course prerequisites have been met. Enrollment in certain courses (i.e., Art studios) requires permission of the chair of the department. Non-matriculated students who have previously attempted or completed Sage credits and who have earned below a 2.00 GPA, must have permission of the Academic Dean to register.

Degree-Seeking Status (Matriculation)

A student with degree-seeking status (who is matriculated) might be eligible for financial aid, is able to pursue a course of study and will be assigned an academic advisor. Students who are uncertain of their major will be matriculated as undeclared majors and will be assigned advisors who specialize in academic and career counseling.

Semester Course Load


Full-time student

12 or more credits per semester

Part-time student

fewer than 12 credits per semester

The usual full-time semester load is 15-16 credits. Additional tuition is charged for credits above 18 per fall or spring term. Consult the section on Tuition and Fees for more information. Students on academic probation may not enroll for more than four courses (usually 12 credits) per term. Note: Non-credit developmental courses are considered equivalent to credit-bearing courses for the purpose of tuition calculation and financial aid eligibility.

Advisement Note:  A student who wishes to carry more than 5 courses per semester must have a 2.8 cumulative grade point average and receive permission of his/her faculty advisor and program coordinator. Students of proven ability, as well as seniors in their last semester, may enroll for more than 18 credits only with the permission of the Dean of the College.

Add/Drop and Withdraw from a Course

  • Students may not enter a course after the add/drop period has ended.
  • All changes in course selections for Sage students must have the approval of their academic advisor.
  • Courses which the student drops prior to the end of the first five days of classes will not be recorded on their academic record (transcript).
  • To withdraw from a course, students must have the approval of the academic advisor and the course instructor.
  • Students who withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended will receive a grade of “W” on their academic record for that course.
  • All withdrawals from courses must be initiated by the student through the Registrar’s Office.
  • The last day to withdraw from a course is the last day of the 12th week of classes or as posted on the official academic calendar. The withdrawal process must be completed by or on this date in person in the Registrar’s Office.
  • The withdrawal deadline for a one-credit mini-course is the end of the ninth class hour.
  • Students who withdraw from a course must be aware that the withdrawal may affect their current and/or future financial aid.

Registration, Course Planning, and Catalog Year

To plan a curriculum or a year ’s course of study, students should use the Catalog effective the year they entered the College or any subsequent Catalog. It is the student’s responsibility to use the appropriate Catalog to outline course requirements and to inform the Registrar, in writing, of any desired change in catalog year. The catalog year may only be advanced; it may not be reversed. Degrees from accredited programs, or degrees that qualify students for certification, may require that students follow requirements subsequent to those in effect when the student matriculated. The College reserves the right to add, change, or delete curricular offerings and/or to make curricular refinements.

A degree audit (academic evaluation or program evaluation) will also assist Sage students with their curricular planning. A degree audit is a computer listing of course requirements viewable in SageAdvisor for the degree program to which a student’s courses (completed, transferred, and in progress) are matched. The catalog year, the student’s major and the requirements listed on the degree audit (academic evaluation report) determine the requirements needed for graduation.  Students and academic advisors should identify and address the unfulfilled academic requirements as students progress through their program. Any student who believes that there is an error in his or her Academic Evaluation should bring it to the attention of the Registrar and resolve any discrepancies as soon as possible. (Recommended: Resolve discrepancies well in advance of the graduation/diploma application due date).

As students plan their schedules, they must be sure that they meet the prerequisite requirements for each course. A student must have credit for or be enrolled in all prerequisites before enrolling in any course. A student may get permission to override a prerequisite only from the full-time Sage faculty member teaching the course or from the program coordinator in the discipline where the course is offered.

Due to the rotation of some courses, a student should plan, during the first year and with an advisor, a two- or four-year sequence of courses that meets the requirements for the degree or certificate sought. This plan should be reviewed and updated each semester. This responsibility rests solely with the student.

Student Responsibility

The ultimate responsibility for fulfilling graduation requirements rests with the student. In consultation with the faculty advisor, each student reviews his or her academic program to make certain that requirements for the degree are being met satisfactorily. In addition to the requirements listed here, major programs might have additional requirements. Each student is responsible for communicating with program advisors to ensure that all prerequisite and required coursework and associated activities such as internships, theses and portfolios are identified, scheduled and completed.

Change of Major, Minor or Advisor

Students wishing to change their major or advisor should first meet with the assigned faculty advisor to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of such a change. To initiate a change of major or catalog year, students must submit a completed “Change of Major Form” to the Office of Student Services (Administration Building). To change an academic advisor, students must submit a completed “Change of Student Academic Information Form” to the Academic Advising Office.

Registration within The Sage Colleges

In general, undergraduate courses at The Sage Colleges are open to all Russell Sage College and Sage College of Albany students. Russell Sage College and Sage College of Albany students wishing to register for a course that is offered at another Sage college may do so via SageAdvisor.  The following exceptions may apply:

  • Students have priority in courses offered on their home campus of matriculation;
  • Students have priority in courses required in their major program;
  • And, some courses may be designated as restricted to students meeting specific criteria and not available for open registration.

It is expected that students enroll in required major and general education classess offered on their home campus.  In order to enable students to meet their major program requirements and progress toward graduation, a “visiting” student may be removed from a class roster of a closed course.  Students wishing to request an exception to this policy should put their request in writing to his/her College Dean indicating that there is a conflict in scheduling or a compelling reason that makes it a hardship to select another course.

Undergraduate Students and Graduate Courses

Students may take advantage of policies that allow acceleration of programs offered at Sage Graduate School. Undergraduate students in good standing, with a GPA of 3.0 or better, may take graduate courses for undergraduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean of Sage Graduate School.

Undergraduate students who are seniors and who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher may take two graduate courses for graduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean of Sage Graduate School. These courses may satisfy undergraduate requirements, or if they are completed beyond the 120 credits required for the baccalaureate degree, may satisfy graduate requirements.

Undergraduate students hoping to enroll in graduate coursework should be aware of the restrictions on the policies that support acceleration. No undergraduate degree can be completed with fewer than 120 credits. The graduate degree must include a minimum of 30 credits beyond the 120 required for the baccalaureate degree. Students in undergraduate programs should seek advisement from their program advisor and from the advisor of the graduate program to ensure that the courses selected apply to the appropriate program.

Cross-Registration with Area Colleges

Sage maintains relationships with other institutions that allow full-time matriculated students to complete coursework through local and study abroad consortia during the academic year.  Students pay their regular Sage tuition and fees and must be in good academic standing at the College and have completed all requirements and necessary paperwork.  For coursework at a local institution, students may take one or two courses per term and the requested course(s) should not be currently available at Sage.

Coursework completed through a local or study abroad consortium appears on the student’s transcriptt as Sage credits with a letter grade and are not treated as transfer credits.  Some institutions place additional restrictions on cross-college registrations.  Students should consult with their academic advisor and the Sage Registrar’s Office early in the advisement period to ascertain policies and procedures that must be followed for a particular institution.

Online Consortium Courses

The Sage Colleges belong to the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU), an association of regionally-accredited colleges and universities throughout the United States that offer online coursework.  If a matriculated student needs a course that Sage does not currently offer or is required for graduation, it may be possible to cross-register for the course online through one of the OCICU provider schools. Students taking OCICU courses pay their regular Sage tuition, and credits earned appear on the transcript with a grade that figures toward the GPA.  OCICU courses count as credits taken at Sage for purposes of financial aid calculations and residency.

Course registration deadlines, course/term start and end dates, and drop/course withdrawal dates for OCICU courses vary and are based on the specific OCICU provider institution’s policy. The student is responsible for adhering to the OCICU college’s and The Sage Colleges’ registration requirements, as well as The Sage Colleges’ academic calendar.

Interested students should speak with their academic advisor and the Director of Studies, SAW, prior to completing and submitting a Request for Permission to Cross-Register for OCICU Course form to request approval.

Withdrawing from the College

Students who wish to withdraw from the College should initiate the process by contacting the Student Life Office, Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753. At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters. Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance.

Leave of Absence

Students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence by contacting the Student Life Office (Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753). A leave of absence is not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and complete the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with other administrators. Financial adjustments or refunds, if applicable, are made according to a published schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect current and future financial aid eligibility.

Inactive Student Status

Any matriculated full-time student who has enrolled during one semester and who does not register for credit the subsequent semester will be placed on the College’s roster of inactive students, unless the student is granted a leave of absence or officially withdraws from the College. A student who has become inactive may seek readmission or re-enrollment by contacting the Office of Admission, 518-292-1730. Inactive student status does not release the student from educational or financial obligations.


Former matriculated students who have been away from Sage (one or more terms for SCA students) must contact the Office of Admission, 518-292-1730, for readmission/re-enrollment application procedures. If any post-secondary institutions (college, university, technical, proprietary school, etc.) were attended while the student was away from The Sage Colleges, official transcripts must be forwarded to the Student Services Office. Upon reenrolling, students are newly matriculated under the current catalog in effect at the time of reenrollment.