Skip to Navigation
[Placeholder Image] | Sage Passport | SageAdvisor | Directory
    Russell Sage College
  Nov 30, 2020
Skip Navigation

Academic Policy - Grading

Evaluation of Academic Work

Grading Policy

The College uses the following grading system with plus and minus designations:

  A Excellent
  B Good
  C Satisfactory
  D Passing
  F Failure

I (grade) Work is incomplete. A student unable to complete all the work in a course as a result of illness or a comparable emergency may request a grade of “Incomplete” (I) from the instructor. In order for a grade of “I” to be granted, a student should have completed most of the work for the course in the opinion of the instructor. If an “I” is granted, the student has the right to complete the work within the length of time specified by the faculty member, not to exceed the end of the eighth week of the following semester. However, students who are pending an academic action of academic warning, academic review, or academic suspension must complete all work prior to the beginning of the next fall or spring semester.

The student will not be allowed to re-register for the course (either for credit or audit) in a subsequent semester until the Incomplete is removed.

It is the responsibility of the student to be aware of her grades in all classes prior to requesting an Incomplete. Should she be at risk of being placed on probation or suspended, arranging for an Incomplete may result in an earlier deadline than anticipated. Faculty are not obligated to offer extensions under these circumstances.

The faculty member and student should write up and sign an agreement using the Incomplete/Extension Request Form, clearly identifying:

  • the specific reasons for the request
  • the work that is to be completed, and
  • the deadline for the submission of the work.

Upon completion of the work, the faculty member files a Grade Change Form with the Office of Student Services in order to convert the “I” grade to an appropriate letter grade. If the faculty member does not change the Incomplete grade by the end of the eighth week of the next semester (October 22 and March 11 for the 2010-11 academic year), the Registrar will replace the grade of “I” with the letter grade “F”. Any agreed-upon extension of time to the deadline must be reported to the Office of Student Services via the timely submission of another Incomplete/Extension Request Form.

P Passing. Indicates that the student has passed the course. (See policy on Pass/Fail grades, below)

W Withdrew. This grade can only be used by the Office of Student Services, when the student officially withdraws from the class.

RP Research in Progress. In RSC undergraduate courses that are specifically designated as one of the following: Senior Project, Senior Independent Project, Research Project, Research in (discipline), Honors Research (in discipline), Honors Project, Senior Research Study, Senior Seminar, Seminar (400 level capstone course); incomplete work MAY be assigned a grade of “RP.” “RP” grades indicate that the initial expectation was that the work to be evaluated normally requires more than one semester. The “RP” grade may not be used in place of an incomplete (“I” grade) for any course which students are normally expected to complete within the original semester. Within one year from the time the “RP” grade is assigned, students must complete a course for which the “RP” grade was given. A student whose research requires longer than one year may request an extension of the “RP” for up to one additional year. The program coordinator may grant the request for an extension of the “RP” grade, depending on the degree of completion of the project. The extension will be granted only if there has been substantial progress.

NC No-Credit. In ENG 101 and ENG 220, students who make a good faith effort in the course, but fail to earn a grade of C or higher, may be assigned a grade of NC. The NC does not affect the GPA, and may be assigned only once per course; that is, should a student re-take the course and still not achieve a grade of C or higher, she will receive an F.

Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)

To determine a student’s grade point average (GPA) the College uses this scale:

Quality Points
A+ = 4.0
A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0.0

I, NC, P, W, not calculated in grade point average.

Thus a student with one “A-,” two “Bs,” one “C+,” and one “D+” would have the following grade point average:

A-   3 credit course x 3.7 quality points = 11.1  
B   3 credit course x 3.0 quality points = 9.0  
B   4 credit course x 3.0 quality points = 12.0  
C+   3 credit course x 2.3 quality points = 6.9  
D+   3 credit course x 1.3 quality points =   3.9  
  =16 total credits   42.9  
GPA=   Total Quality Points   =  42.9  = 2.68  
  Total Credits Attempted   16.0    

Five courses for 16 credits with a GPA of 2.68


The pass/fail (P/F) option should encourage students to select courses offered by departments outside their major area and requirements. The policies governing the use of the P/F option apply only to those courses that can be elected P/F; courses offered only on a P/F basis are excluded from the limitations.

Faculty do not know who elects a course P/F; they will record a letter grade and the Registrar assigns the appropriate grade. Grades above “F” are considered passing.

  1. Students completing 120 credits at Sage may elect four courses P/F; the number is proportionately lower for transfer students.
  2. These courses may not be major or minor requirements, required support courses in a major program, ENG 101, ENG 220, WLD 120, or WLD 420.
  3. Election must be made at the time of registration, up to and including the last day to withdraw from a course.
  4. When a student withdraws from a course elected P/F within the normal period for such withdrawal, it will not count toward the P/F maximum.
  5. When registering for a P/F course, students may choose to have a letter grade recorded under certain specified conditions by filling out the appropriate section of the P/F form. The student must complete this section at the time of registration. Note: Courses taken for a letter grade under this option still count as courses taken P/F.
  6. To be considered for Dean’s List in a given regular term, a student must take a minimum of twelve credit hours on a letter graded basis during that term.


Auditors receive no credit. They are not required to submit credentials if they intend only to audit. The status is on a space-available basis, limited to not more than 10 percent of a class enrollment, and to be declared at registration, or no later than the end of the first week of classes.

Repeat Course Policy

Students are permitted to re-take ANY course. Credits and grade points for the first grade will be deleted from the cumulative record, while the grade itself will remain on the transcript and the repeat noted. The course information will be listed in the usual manner the second time it appears on the transcript. Generally, the course should be repeated in the first semester that it is subsequently offered. However, it may be repeated any time prior to graduation. No matter which grade is higher, the most recent grade counts in figuring the cumulative grade point average.

In situations where a student has repeated a course previously taken for a letter grade at RSC, the grade replacement may not be used to remove term probation from the semester in which the course was previously taken.

Students may repeat NO MORE than THREE previously passed courses while enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor’s. There is no specific limit on the number of courses a student may repeat for a course in which they received an F or W.

Students CANNOT repeat using the P/F option to replace a grade. However, a student who has failed a course using the P/F option may elect to retake the course for either a grade or a P/F option. The retaken P/F course counts as an additional use of the P/F option.

All course repeats MUST be taken at Sage. In the event that a student’s program of study is jeopardized due to the lack of course offerings at Sage, students may seek approval of the Program Coordinator/Department Chair to take the course elsewhere. The sequence of certain programs may not allow multiple retakes. Consult your Program Coordinator/Department Chair for further details. Students should seek approval of their advisor prior to pre-registration, as the sequence of their program may be affected by the need to re-take a course. RSC students should note that 30 of their last 45 credits must be in residence and, therefore, they are not eligible to take courses outside of Sage without the permission of the Dean. Please note that only credits–not grades–transfer.

Repetition of coursework for which credit has been granted may jeopardize financial aid eligibility. It is the STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY to understand the consequences of repeating courses on her own financial aid situation. Students with questions regarding the impact of course repeats on student financial aid should consult the Office of Student Services.