Skip to Navigation
[Placeholder Image] | Sage Passport | SageAdvisor | Directory
    Russell Sage College
  Nov 30, 2020
Skip Navigation

Academic Policy - Registration


Declaration of Status

Students returning to college or attending for the first time who are uncertain of their major may take up to 9 credits without applying for admission to the college. To enroll for additional credits, students must either apply for admission (matriculate) and gain acceptance to an undergraduate certificate or degree program or indicate visiting-student status.

Visiting-Student Status (Non-Matriculation)

Visiting students are those who do not intend to earn a certificate or degree. They are not eligible for financial aid and are not assigned an advisor. Credits accumulated as a visiting student will not necessarily count toward a certificate or degree program.

Degree-Seeking Status (Matriculation)

A student with degree-seeking status may be eligible for financial aid, is able to plan a course of study that meets personal needs and interests, and will be assigned an advisor. A student who is uncertain of her major will be matriculated as an undeclared major and will be assigned an advisor who specializes in academic counseling.

Semester Course Load

Full-time student 12 or more credits per semester
Part-time student fewer than 12 credits per semester

The usual full-time semester load is 15-16 credits. Students of proven ability, as well as seniors in their last semester, may enroll for more than 18 credits only with the permission of the Dean of the College.

Additional tuition is charged for credits above 18 per fall or spring term (for RNs the limit is 15 credits per term). Consult the section on Tuition and Fees for relevant information. Students on academic probation may not enroll for more than four courses (usually 12 credits) per term.

Registration, Course Planning, and Catalog Year

To plan a curriculum or a semester’s course of study, students should use the Catalog associated with the year they entered the College or any subsequent Catalog. It is the student’s responsibility to use this Catalog to outline course requirements in her curriculum and to inform the Registrar, in writing, of any change in catalog year. The catalog year may only be advanced; it may not be reversed. Degrees from accredited programs, or degrees that qualify students for certification, may require that students follow requirements subsequent to those in effect when the student matriculated.

An academic evaluation (degree audit) will also assist Russell Sage students with their curricular planning. An academic evaluation is a computer listing of course requirements for the degree program to which a student’s courses (completed, transferred, and in progress) are matched. Both the catalog year (see above) and the student’s major determine the requirements for graduation and the requirements listed on the academic evaluation. Students and academic advisors can easily identify the unfulfilled academic requirements as students progress through their program. Any student who believes that there is an error in her academic evaluation should bring that issue to the attention of the Registrar and resolve those discrepancies as early in her academic career as possible.

As the student plans her schedule, she must be sure that she meets the prerequisite requirements for each course. A student must have credit for or be enrolled in all prerequisites before enrolling in any course. A student may get permission to override a prerequisite only from the faculty member teaching the course or from the program coordinator in the discipline where the course is offered.

Due to the rotation of some courses, a student should plan, during her first year with her advisor, a four-year sequence of courses that meets the requirements for the degree. This plan should be updated each semester. This responsibility rests solely with the student.

The College reserves the right to add, change, or delete curricular offerings and/or to make curricular refinements.

Change of Major, Minor or Advisor

Students wishing to change their major, minor or advisor can do so by filing a Change of Major Form. This form is available in the Office of Student Services or online. Students must complete the form, have it signed by the Director of Academic Advising, and return the form to the Office of Student Services for processing.

Add - Drop - Withdraw from Course

  • Students may not enter a course after the add/drop period.
  • All changes in course selections for Russell Sage College students must have the approval and signature of the academic advisor.
  • Courses which the student drops prior to the end of the first five days of classes will not be recorded on the academic record.
  • Students who withdraw from a course after the add/drop period will receive a grade of “W” on their academic record for that course. To withdraw from a course, students must have the approval of the academic advisor and the course instructor. All withdrawals from courses must be initiated by the student through the Registrar’s Office.
  • The last day to withdraw from a course is the last day of the 10th week of classes. The withdrawal process must be completed by or on this date in the Registrar’s Office.
  • Students who withdraw from a course must be aware that the withdrawal may affect their financial aid.

Withdrawing from the College

Both commuting and residential students who wish to withdraw from the College should initiate the process by contacting the Dean of Students.  At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters. Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance.

Leave of Absence

Both commuting and residential students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence by contacting the Dean of Students. Leaves of absence are not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and to assist in completing the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with other administrators.

Financial adjustments, if applicable, are made according to the published schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect their financial aid eligibility.

Inactive Student Status

Any matriculated student who has enrolled during one semester and who does not register for credit the subsequent semester, will be placed on the College’s roster of inactive students unless the student is granted a leave of absence or officially withdraws from the College. A student who has become inactive may seek readmission by contacting the Office of Admission. Inactive student status does not release the student from educational financial obligations.

Cross-Registration within The Sage Colleges

Undergraduate Students and Graduate Courses: For students of Russell Sage College there are policies that allow acceleration of the programs in Sage Graduate School.

Undergraduate students in good standing, with a GPA of 3.0, may take graduate courses for undergraduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean of Russell Sage College and the Dean of the school in which the graduate course is offered.

Undergraduate students who are seniors and who have a GPA of 3.0 may take two graduate courses for graduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean of the school in which the graduate courses are offeredl. These courses may satisfy undergraduate requirements, or if they are completed beyond the 120 credits required for the baccalaureate degree, may satisfy graduate requirements.

Undergraduate students hoping to enroll in graduate coursework should be aware of the restrictions on the policies that support acceleration. No undergraduate degree can be completed with fewer than 120 credits. The graduate degree must include a minimum of 30 credits beyond the 120 required for the baccalaureate degree. Students in undergraduate programs should seek advisement from their program advisor and from the graduate program to which they will apply, to ensure that the courses selected apply to the appropriate programs.

RSC Students Taking SCA Courses: In general, undergraduate courses at The Sage Colleges are open to all Russell Sage College and Sage College of Albany students. Russell Sage College and Sage College of Albany students wishing to register for a course that is offered at another Sage college may do so via SageAdvisor.  The following exceptions apply:

  • Students have priority in courses offered on their home campus of matriculation;
  • Students have priority in courses required in their major program;
  • And, some courses may be designated as restricted to students meeting specific criteria and not available for open registration.

It is expected that students enroll in required major and general education classes offered on their home campus.  In order to enable students to meet their major program requirements and progress toward graduation, a “visiting” student may be removed from a class roster of a closed course.  Students wishing to request an exception to this policy should put their request in writing to his/her College Dean indicating that there is a conflict in scheduling or a compelling reason that makes it a hardship to select another course.

Cross-Registration with Other Colleges

Sage maintains relationships with other institutions that allow full-time matriculated students to complete coursework through local and study abroad consortia during the academic year. Students pay their regular Sage tuition and fees and can complete coursework as long as they are in good academic standing at the College and have completed all requirements and necessary paperwork. For coursework at a local institution, students may take one or two courses per term; the requested course(s) should not be currently available at Sage.  Coursework completed through a local or study abroad consortium appear on the student’s transcript as Sage credits (i.e., with a letter grade) and are not treated as transfer credits. Some institutions place additional restrictions on cross-college registrations. Students should consult with their academic advisor and the Registrar’s office early in the advisement process to ascertain policies and procedures that must be followed for a particular institution.

Engineering School Option

An affiliation agreement between Sage and Rensselaer allows qualified students to receive, within five years, a BA in Mathematics from Sage and a BS in Engineering from Rensselaer. To study under the mathematics/engineering affiliation agreement, students must be in the top half of their high school class, have at least a 3.0 average, and complete college preparatory courses in mathematics and physics. To be accepted into Rensselaer they must achieve a 3.0 average in the major field and a 2.5 overall at Sage, and must maintain a 1.8 average in courses taken at Rensselaer prior to admission there.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

Air Force: Students may cross-enroll in the Air Force ROTC Program at Rensselaer. This program qualifies students for commissions as officers in the U.S. Air Force. Scholarships are awarded to high school seniors and first- and second-year Air Force ROTC students who qualify. For details about this program, interested students should contact the Commanding Officer of the Air Force ROTC unit at Rensselaer at (518) 276-6236.

Army: Full-time students may cross-enroll in the Army ROTC Program at Siena College. Classes are taught on the Siena campus in Loudonville as well as on the Rensselaer campus in Troy. This program qualifies students for commissions as officers in the U.S. Army. Students enrolled in the Nursing program are of particular interest. Scholarships are available to first- and second-year students who meet qualification requirements. For details about this program, interested students should contact the professor of military science at Siena College at (518) 783-2536.