Skip to Navigation
[Placeholder Image] | MySage | SageAdvisor | Directory
    Russell Sage College
  Oct 24, 2020
Skip Navigation

Academic Policy: Registration

Student Enrollment Changes
  Leave of Absence Withdrawal from College Change of Major
Visiting-Student Status (Non-Matriculation)

Visiting students are those who do not intend to earn a certificate or degree. They are not eligible for financial aid and are not assigned an advisor. Credits accumulated as a visiting student will not necessarily count toward a certificate or degree program. Individuals who do not wish to become classified as degree candidates with a declared field of study may enroll in undergraduate courses and earn credit on this basis. Enrollment as a non-matriculated student can be accomplished by completing course registration forms and satisfying financial obligations.

Degree-Seeking Status (Matriculation)

A student with degree-seeking status may be eligible for financial aid, is able to plan a course of study that meets academic needs and interests, and will be assigned an advisor. A student who is uncertain of their major will be matriculated as an Academic Exploration student and will be assigned an advisor who specializes in academic and career counseling. Students in the Academic Exploration program take a combination of courses in satisfaction of General Education requirements and in areas of potential academic interest. Students may stay in the Academic Exploration program up to the completion of 45 credit hours, at which point they will be expected to declare a major program.

Semester Course Load 

• Full-time student: 12 or more credits per semester
• Part-time student: fewer than 12 credits per semester

The usual full-time semester load is 15-16 credits. Students of proven ability, as well as seniors in their last semester, may enroll for more than 18 credits only with the permission of the Undergraduate Dean.

Additional tuition (overload fee) is charged for credits above 18 per fall or spring term. See Tuition and Fees on for relevant information. Students on academic probation may not enroll for more than four courses (usually 13 credits) per term.

Class Attendance

The educational plan for baccalaureate degree programs depends upon the full cooperation of students and faculty. Prompt attendance at academic appointments (classes, lectures, conferences, and examinations) is an essential part of this educational plan. It is expected that students will keep all academic commitments; the responsibility for work missed because of absence rests entirely upon the student. Attendance is required at seminars, laboratories and practice teaching. In addition, departments may require attendance in any of their courses or course sections where such requirement is deemed consistent with the educational objectives and the manner of delivery of those courses.

Schedule of Examinations

Mid-term examinations: Although midterm examinations are not required in all courses, instructors are expected to submit Undergraduate Advisory Grades at the end of the 5th week of classes during the Fall and Spring semesters. In this context, announced midterm examinations may be helpful in many courses.

Final examinations: Sage is committed to the principle that all credit-bearing activities must involve a concluding assessment of student learning by the responsible faculty. Faculty are expected to keep a record of such assessments. See Academic Calendar on for the current term final exam schedule:

In most college courses the appropriate assessment is a written final examination. Sage requires such examinations to be given in accordance with the examination schedule. When a deviation from the schedule is necessary the Registrar and the Department chairperson or Dean of the College should be notified of the change.

Faculty are expected to minimize interference with students’ other academic responsibilities when they schedule different kinds of concluding examinations (lab, clinical, etc.). In no case may an examination be set at a time which results in a conflict for students with a regularly scheduled meeting of another course. The Registrar publishes a schedule of final examinations each semester.

Courses must meet for the number of hours specified in the credit hour policy, including the scheduled meeting in the Final Exam week. The Final Exam week meeting must be used for a class, an examination, a performance, a presentation, or other meaningful academic exercise as determined by the department. Courses that cover the required contact time in different ways, such as Studio, Online, Reduced Seat Time, and Weekend courses, are exempt from following the Final Exam week schedule.

During the final examination period, students are not required to take more than two (2) final examinations per day and may request a make-up time for the additional examination(s), if desired. Students requesting a make-up examination must work together with all faculty involved, and the Dean of the College, if necessary, to determine which examination will be rescheduled.

Registration, Course Planning, and Catalog Year

To plan a curriculum or a semester’s course of study, students should use the Catalog associated with the year they entered the College or any subsequent Catalog. It is the student’s responsibility to use this Catalog to outline course requirements in their curriculum and to inform the Registrar, in writing, of any change in catalog year. The catalog year may only be advanced; it may not be reversed. Degrees from accredited programs, or degrees that qualify students for certification, may require that students follow requirements subsequent to those in effect when the student matriculated.

An academic evaluation (SageAdvisor) or progress (Student Planning) will also assist students with their curricular planning. An academic evaluation is a computer listing of course requirements for the degree program to which a student’s courses (completed, transferred, and in progress) are matched. Both the catalog year (see above) and the student’s major determine the requirements for graduation and the requirements listed on the academic evaluation. Students and academic advisors can easily identify the unfulfilled academic requirements as students progress through their program. Any student who believes that there is an error in her academic evaluation should bring that issue to the attention of the Registrar and resolve those discrepancies as early in their academic career as possible.

As the student plans their schedule, they must be sure that they meet the prerequisite requirements for each course. A student must have credit for or be enrolled in all prerequisites before enrolling in any course. A student may get permission to override a prerequisite only from the faculty member teaching the course or from the program coordinator in the discipline where the course is offered.

Due to the rotation of some courses, a student should plan, during the first year with their advisor, a four-year sequence of courses that meets the requirements for the degree. This plan should be updated each semester. This responsibility rests solely with the student.

The College reserves the right to add, change, or delete curricular offerings and/or to make curricular refinements.

 Add - Drop - Withdraw from Course
  • Students may not enter a course after the add/drop period. See Academic Calendar  for more information
  • All changes in course selections for students must have the approval and signature of the academic advisor.
  • Courses which the student drops prior to the end of the first five days of classes will not be recorded on the academic record.
  • Students who withdraw from a course after the add/drop period will receive a grade of “W” on their academic record for that course. To withdraw from a course, students must have the approval of the academic advisor and the course instructor. All withdrawals from courses must be initiated by the student through the Registrar’s Office.
  • The last day to withdraw from a course is the last day of the 12th week of classes. The withdrawal process must be completed by or on this date in the Registrar’s Office.
  • Students who withdraw from a course must be aware that the withdrawal may affect their financial aid.

Travel Conflict Policy

Students are responsible for planning a schedule that allows enough time for travel between classes. Students should not enroll in cross campus classes when the amount of time available for travel is less than 30 minutes. Students should consult with their faculty advisor or advising office to resolve conflicts.

Arriving late for a class or departing early disrupts the teaching and learning process and may violate the College’s credit hour policy. Exceptions to override this policy are rare. Students who wish an exception due to an extenuating circumstance must obtain the approval of the course instructors and department chairs involved and the Undergraduate Dean. Requests must be submitted by 5:00 PM prior to the start of the fourth day of term. If an exception is not approved, students will be expected to adjust their schedules by the add/drop deadline.

Change of Major, Minor or Advisor

Requests for advisor changes are processed through the advising offices. Students may request these via email ([email protected]). Note: advisor change requests can only be accommodated if there are other faculty advisors available within a department or program, but any advising concern may be brought to the advising office for assistance.

Students wishing to add or change a major or minor can do so by sending an email message from their Sage account to the appropriate office of academic advising ([email protected]) with their name, ID number, and the new major or minor they wish to declare. All academic program changes require the approval of the advising office on a student’s home campus. Students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid if the major change will affect scholarship status or extend graduation beyond the original anticipated completion date. If approved, the request is forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for processing and the student is assigned a new faculty major or minor advisor.

Major Program Admission Criteria

The academic programs listed below have distinct admission criteria and/or limited space availability. Student requests are reviewed by the advising offices in collaboration with the academic departments.

 Academic Program

 Admission Requirements/Criteria

 Major Change Process

 Art + Extended Media, BFA

 • Portfolio Review Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. See website for portfolio requirements,

 Childhood Education, BS

  • CumGPA: 3.000
  • 3.000 GPA in all courses required for Childhood Education program
  • 3.000 GPA in all courses required for Liberal Arts major program

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. Note: major change might be not be approved until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage.

 Creative Arts in Therapy, BS

  • Students must complete a portfolio review and/or performance audition

A faculty representative from the CAT program notifies the Advising office that a student has met the portfolio/audition requirement and then the major change is processed.

 Graphic + Media Design, BFA

  • Portfolio Review

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. See website for portfolio requirements,

 Interdsciplinary Studies, BA or BS

  Permission of academic department chairs

See Catalog page for more information.

 Interior + Spatial Design, BFA

  • Portfolio Review

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. See website for portfolio requirements,

 Undergraduate program leading 
 to Law 3+3

  • CumGPA: 3.300 or higher
  • LSAT completion, median score (minimum) required.

Students contact: Professor Bobbi Gabrenya, [email protected]

 Nursing, BS

  3.000 GPA in nursing major support courses
Completion of support courses: BIO 201,
     BIO 202, BIO 208, CHM 103, PSY 101,
     PSY 202 or 208, SCI
120, SOC course, and
     SOC 350
  • Space Availability

Major change requests to Nursing are reviewed twice a year after semester course grades are posted. Students must email the Advising Office by January 2 or May 15 with the official request. Candidates are reviewed by the Advising Office to determine eligiblity. Final decisions rest with the Nursing department. *Note: qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available. **In order for nursing students to enroll in NSG courses, a nursing major GPA of 3.000 or higher is required.

 Any undergraduate program leading
 to MS in Occupational Therapy

  • CumGPA: 3.250
  • Science GPA: 3.000
  • Space Availability

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. The program change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage and depending on space availability. This includes requests to change from non-accelerated to accelerated track. Note: qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available.

 Physical Education, BS

  • Cumulative GPA: 3.000
  • 2.750 GPA in courses PED major

Email the Avising Office with request any time of year. Note: major change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage.

Any undergraduate program leading 
to Doctorate in Physical Therapy

  • Cumulative GPA: 3.250
  • Science GPA: 3.250
  • Space Availability

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. The program change will be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage and depending on space availability. This includes requests to change from non-accelerated to accelerated track. Note: qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available.

Withdrawing from the College

Both commuting and residential students who wish to withdraw from the College should initiate the process by contacting the Student Life Office (Dean of Students, [email protected]). At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters. Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance.

Leave of Absence

Students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence by contacting the Student Life Office (Dean of Students, [email protected]), by the last day of classes for that semester. Leaves of absence are not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and to assist in completing the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with the Academic Dean, faculty advisor, and program director.

Financial adjustments, if applicable, are made according to the published schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect their financial aid eligibility, as well as progress toward degree completion.

Inactive Student Status

Any matriculated student who has enrolled during one semester and who does not register for credit the subsequent semester will be administratively withdrawn (in-activated) from the College unless the student requests and is granted a leave of absence or officially withdraws from the College. A student who has been withdrawn may seek readmission by contacting the Office of Admission. Inactive student status does not release the student from financial obligations. Upon re-enrolling, students are newly matriculated under the current catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Undergraduate Students and Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students in good standing, with a GPA of 3.000, may take graduate courses for undergraduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean and the Dean of the School in which the graduate course is offered.

Undergraduate students who are seniors and who have a GPA of 3.000 may take two graduate courses for graduate credit, with advisor approval and permission of the Dean of the School in which the graduate courses are offered. These courses may satisfy undergraduate requirements, or if they are completed beyond the 120 credits required for the baccalaureate degree, may satisfy graduate requirements.

Undergraduate students hoping to enroll in graduate coursework should be aware of the restrictions on the policies that support acceleration. No undergraduate degree can be completed with fewer than 120 credits. The graduate degree must include a minimum of 30 credits beyond the 120 required for the baccalaureate degree. Students in undergraduate programs should seek advisement from their program advisor and from the graduate program to which they will apply to ensure that the courses selected apply to the appropriate programs.

Cross-Registration with Other Colleges

Sage maintains relationships with other institutions that allow full-time matriculated undergraduate students to complete coursework through local and study abroad consortia during the academic year. Students pay their regular Sage tuition and fees and can complete coursework as long as they are in good academic standing at the College and have completed all requirements and necessary paperwork. For coursework at a local institution (formerly known as, Hudson Mohawk Association of Colleges & Universities), students may take one or two courses per term; the requested course(s) should not be currently available at Sage. Coursework completed through a local or study abroad consortium appear on the student’s transcript as Sage credits (i.e., with a letter grade) and are not treated as transfer credits. Some institutions place additional restrictions on cross-college registrations. Students should consult with their academic advisor and the Registrar’s office early in the advisement process to ascertain policies and procedures that must be followed for a particular institution.

Online Consortium Courses

Russell Sage College belongs to the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU), an association of regionally-accredited colleges and universities throughout the United States that offer online coursework. If a matriculated student needs a course that Sage does not currently offer and/or is required for pending graduation, it may be possible to cross-register for the course online through one of the OCICU provider schools. Students taking OCICU courses pay their regular Sage tuition. Credits earned via OCICU appear on the transcript with a grade that figures toward the GPA.  OCICU courses count as credits taken at Sage for purposes of financial aid calculations and residency.

Course registration deadlines, course/term start and end dates, and drop/course withdrawal dates for OCICU courses vary and are based on the specific OCICU provider institution’s policy. The student is responsible for adhering to the OCICU college’s and Sage’s registration requirements, as well as the Russell Sage College academic calendar.

Study Abroad

Any student who is considering studying abroad or study away must seek prior approval from the Office of the Dean and meet the following criteria: have at least sophomore standing, a 3.000 cumulative GPA or higher, and be a full time student the semester prior to studying abroad and during the term abroad/away.

Students enrolled either in the sponsored and/or affiliated programs pay their regular tuition and room-and-board fees to Sage. Students are eligible to continue to receive financial aid during their time away from campus. Books, miscellaneous personal expenses, and the cost of travel are not covered. Credit earned in Sage-sponsored study abroad programs appear on the transcript as Sage grades and credit. Examples of sponsored and/or affiliated programs include: New American Colleges and Universities and American Institute for Foreign Study.

Coursework completed at a program that is not affiliated with Sage is subject to the same policies as “transfer credit after matriculation” (see section of Catalog). Specifically, students should fill out and have signed transfer credit request forms that are available in the Registrar’s Office before they register for courses in a study abroad program. No grade below a “C-” will be accepted for transfer. Students who participate in a study abroad program not affiliated with Sage will likely need to take a leave of absence from Sage while they are abroad and make their own financial arrangements through the institution that is sponsoring the program.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

Air Force: Students may cross-enroll in the Air Force ROTC Program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. This program qualifies students for commissions as officers in the U.S. Air Force. Scholarships are awarded to high school seniors and first- and second-year Air Force ROTC students who qualify. For details about this program, interested students should contact the Commanding Officer of the Air Force ROTC unit at Rensselaer at (518) 276-6236. Students taking courses at Rensselaer complete a cross-registration form.

Army: Full-time students may cross-enrolll in the Army ROTC Program at Siena College. Classes are taught on the Siena campus in Loudonville as well as on the Rensselaer campus in Troy. This program qualifies students for commissions as officers in the U.S. Army. Students enrolled in the Nursing program are of particular interest. Scholarships are available to first- and second-year students who meet qualification requirements. For details about this program, interested students should contact the professor of military science at Siena College at (518) 783-2536. Students taking courses at Siena complete a cross-registration form.