Skip to Navigation
  The Sage Colleges | My Portal | SageAdvisor | Directory
    Sage Colleges
  Feb 20, 2018
Skip Navigation


Student Enrollment Changes

Leave of Absence Withdrawal Change of Major or Add Minor

Declaration of Status

Students returning to college or attending for the first time may take up to 9 credits without applying for admission to the College. To enroll for additional credits, students must either matriculate or select Visiting Student Status.

Visiting Student Status (Non-Matriculation)

Visiting students are those who do not intend to earn a certificate or degree from Sage. They are not eligible for financial aid and are not assigned an academic advisor. Credits accumulated as a visiting student do not necessarily count toward a certificate or degree program. Students must meet and show proof that course prerequisites have been met. Enrollment in certain courses (i.e., Art studios) requires permission of the chair of the department. Non-matriculated students who have previously attempted or completed Sage credits and who have earned below a 2.00 GPA, must have permission of the Academic Dean to register.

Degree-Seeking Status (Matriculation)

A student with degree-seeking status (who is matriculated) might be eligible for financial aid, is able to pursue a course of study and will be assigned an academic advisor.  Students who are uncertain of their major will be matriculated as undeclared majors and will be assigned advisors who specialize in academic and career counseling.

Semester Course Load

  • Full-time Student:  12 or more credits per semster
  • Part-ime Student:  Fewer than 12 credits per semster

The usual full-time semester load is 15-16 credits. Senior students of proven ability may be permitted to enroll in more than 18 credits. Permission of the faculty advisor and Dean of the College is required.  Additional tuition is charged for credits above 18 per fall or spring term. Consult Tuition and Fees section for more information. Students on academic probation may not enroll for more than four courses (12-13 credits) per term.

Add/Drop and Withdraw from a Course

  • Students may not enter a course after the add/drop period has ended.
  • All changes in course selections for SCA students must have the approval of their academic advisor.
  • Courses which the student drops prior to the end of the first five days of classes will not be recorded on their academic record (transcript).
  • To withdraw from a course, SCA students must have the approval of the academic advisor and the course instructor.
  • Students who withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended will receive a grade of “W” on their academic record for that course.
  • All withdrawals from courses must be initiated by the student through the Registrar’s Office.
  • The last day to withdraw from a course is the last day of the 12th week of classes or as posted on the official academic calendar. The withdrawal process must be completed by or on this date in person in the Registrar’s Office.
  • The withdrawal deadline for a one-credit mini-course is the end of the ninth class hour.
  • Students who withdraw from a course must be aware that the withdrawal may affect their current and/or future financial aid.

Registration, Course Planning, and Catalog Year

To plan a curriculum or a year ’s course of study, students should use the Catalog effective the year they entered the College or any subsequent Catalog. It is the student’s responsibility to use the appropriate Catalog to outline course requirements and to inform the Registrar, in writing, of any desired change in catalog year. The catalog year may only be advanced; it may not be reversed. Degrees from accredited programs, or degrees that qualify students for certification, may require that students follow requirements subsequent to those in effect when the student matriculated. The College reserves the right to add, change, or delete curricular offerings and/or to make curricular refinements.

A program evaluation available in SageAdvisor will also assist Sage students with their curricular planning. A program evaluation is a listing of course requirements for the degree program to which a student’s courses (completed, transferred, and in progress) are matched. The catalog year, the student’s major and the requirements listed on the program evaluation determine the requirements needed for graduation.  Students and academic advisors should identify and address the unfulfilled academic requirements as students progress through their program. Any student who believes that there is an error in his or her program evalaution should bring it to the attention of the Registrar and resolve any discrepancies as soon as possible. (Recommended: Resolve discrepancies well in advance of the graduation/diploma application due date).

As students plan their schedules, they must be sure that they meet the prerequisite requirements for each course. A student must have credit for or be enrolled in all prerequisites before enrolling in any course. A student may get permission to override a prerequisite only from the full-time Sage faculty member teaching the course or from the program coordinator in the discipline where the course is offered.

Due to the rotation of some courses, a student should plan, during the first year and with an advisor, a two- or four-year sequence of courses that meets the requirements for the degree or certificate sought. This plan should be reviewed and updated each semester. This responsibility rests solely with the student.

Student Responsibility

The ultimate responsibility for fulfilling graduation requirements rests with the student. In consultation with the faculty advisor, each student reviews his or her academic program to make certain that requirements for the degree are being met satisfactorily. In addition to the requirements listed here, major programs might have additional requirements. Each student is responsible for communicating with program advisors to ensure that all prerequisite and required coursework and associated activities such as internships, theses and portfolios are identified, scheduled and completed.

Change of Major, Minor or Advisor

(Students wishing to change a Major or add a Minor may do so by sending an email from their Sage account to the appropriate Office of Academic Advising, [email protected] or [email protected], with their name and the new major or minor they wish to declare).

Academic program changes require the approval of the Associate Dean on a student’s home campus. A preliminary review of credits will determine is an advising meeting is needed. If approved, the request is forwarded to the Registrar for processing and the student is assigned a new faculty major or minor advisor if applicable. Note: students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid if the major change will affect financial aid status or extend graduation beyond the original anticipated completion date.

Requests for advisor changes are processed through the advising offices. Students may request these via email ([email protected] or [email protected]). Advisor change requests can only be accommodated if there are other faculty advisors available within a department or program, but any advising concern may be brought to the Associate Deans for assistance.

Some academic programs have distinct admission criteria and limited space availability. Requests for programs listed below are reviewed by the Associate Deans in collaboration with the academic departments.  Students may contact the Associate Dean on their home campus with any questions about the requirements listed below.

 Academic Program

 Enrollment Criteria

 Major Change Process

 Biology, BS

   *Cumulative GPA: 3.000
   *Science GPA: 3.000

Email the advising office with request any time of year. Note that the major change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage.

 Childhood Education, BS    *Cumulative GPA: 3.000
*GPA in courses required
     for Child Educ prog: 3.000
*GPA in courses required
      in Liberal Arts major: 3.000
Email the advising office with request any time of year. Note that the major change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage.
 Creative Arts in Therapy, BA    *Students must have portfolio or
     performance audition reviewed
     and accepted by department
A faculty representative from the CAT program notifies the advising office that a student has met the portfolio/audition requirement and then the major change is processed.
 Graphic + Media Design, BFA
   *Portfolio Review Email the advising office with request any time of year. See website for portfolio requirements,

 Interior Design, BFA

   *Portfolio Review

Email the Advising Office with request any time of year. See website for portfolio requirements,

 Undergraduate program leading
 to Law 3+3

   *Cumulative GPA: 3.300
   *LSAT completion, median score
     required (minimum).

RSC students contact: Professor Pam Katz, [email protected]
SCA students contact: Professor Bobbi Gabrenya, [email protected]

 Nursing, BS

  *Cumulative GPA: 3.000
  *GPA in major (support courses
    required for NSG major): 3.000
  *Space Availability

Major change requests are reviewed twice a year after semester grades are submitted. Students must email the Advising Office by Jan. 2 or May 20 with the official request. Candidates are first pre-screened by the Advising Office and then reviewed by the Nursing department. Up to 4 students may be accepted at the end of each fall and spring term. Note: qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available.

 Any undergraduate program leading
MS in Occupational Therapy

   *Cumulative GPA: 3.250
   *Science GPA: 3.000
   *Space Availability

Email the advising office with request any time of year. The program change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage and depending on space availability. This includes requests to change from non-accelerated to accelerated track. Note that qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available.

 Physical Education, BS
   *Cumulative GPA: 3.000
GPA in all courses required
      for PED major: 2.750
Email the advising office with request any time of year. The major change will be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage.

 Any undergraduate program leading
 to Doctorate in
Physical Therapy

   *Cumulative GPA: 3.250

   *Science GPA: 3.250
   *Space Availability


Email the advising office with request any time of year. The program change might be put on hold until a student has demonstrated GPA requirements at Sage and depending on space availability. This includes requests to change from non-accelerated to accelerated track. Note that qualified candidates may be denied admission to the program if space is not available.

Cross-Registration with Area Colleges

Sage maintains relationships with other institutions that allow full-time matriculated students to complete coursework through local and study abroad consortia during the academic year (fall, spring).  Students pay their regular Sage tuition and fees and must be in good academic standing at the College and have completed all requirements and necessary paperwork.  For coursework at a local institution, students may take one or two courses per term and the requested course(s) should not be currently available at Sage.

Coursework completed through a local or study abroad consortium appears on the student’s transcriptt as Sage credits with a letter grade and are not treated as transfer credits.  Some institutions place additional restrictions on cross-college registrations.  Students should consult with their academic advisor and the Sage Registrar’s Office early in the advisement period to ascertain policies and procedures that must be followed for a particular institution.

Online Consortium Courses

The Sage Colleges belong to the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU), an association of regionally-accredited colleges and universities throughout the United States that offer online coursework.  If a matriculated student needs a course that Sage does not currently offer and is required for pending graduation, it may be possible to cross-register for the course online through one of the OCICU provider schools. Students taking OCICU courses pay their regular Sage tuition. Credits earned via OCICU appear on the transcript with a grade that figures toward the GPA.  OCICU courses count as credits taken at Sage for purposes of financial aid calculations and residency.

Course registration deadlines, course/term start and end dates, and drop/course withdrawal dates for OCICU courses vary and are based on the specific OCICU provider institution’s policy. The student is responsible for adhering to the OCICU college’s and The Sage Colleges’ registration requirements, as well as The Sage Colleges’ academic calendar.

Withdrawing from the College

Students who wish to withdraw from the College should initiate the process by contacting the Student Life Office, Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753. At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters. Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance.

Leave of Absence

Students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence by contacting the Student Life Office (Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753). A leave of absence is not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and complete the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with other administrators. Financial adjustments or refunds, if applicable, are made according to a published schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect current and future financial aid eligibility.

Inactive Student Status

Any matriculated full-time student who has enrolled during one semester and who does not register for credit the subsequent semester will be placed on the College’s roster of inactive students, unless the student is granted a leave of absence. A student who has become inactive may seek readmission or re-enrollment by contacting the Office of Admission, 518-292-1730. Inactive student status does not release the student from educational or financial obligations.


Former matriculated students who have been away from Sage (one or more terms for SCA students) must contact the Office of Admission, 518-292-1730, for readmission/re-enrollment procedures. If any post-secondary institutions (college, university, technical, proprietary school, etc.) were attended while the student was away from The Sage Colleges, official transcripts must be forwarded to the Student Services Office. Students that have been away for 7 or more years will need to submit previous transcripts as well.  Upon reenrolling, students are newly matriculated under the current catalog in effect at the time of reenrollment.