Oct 20, 2017
Students who are admitted to the 4+3 program at RSC complete the bachelor’s degree in four years. This program allows greater latitude for taking additional elective courses of interest to the student and may be more conducive to success. Students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT program are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT program at the Sage Graduate Schools providing all prerequisite courses and academic/program requirements are met during completion of the 4+3 program.
Undergraduate transfer student who have completed courses at other institutions may progress into the DPT program, with acceptance based on space availability, students’ qualifications, and previous college coursework. Transfer students must complete a minimum of 45 credits at RSC prior to entering the DPT program, during which time Russell Sage College undergraduate major coursework, general education requirements and DPT program course prerequisites must be completed. In some cases it may take more than three terms to complete and this will be determined by advisement.
The baccalaureate degree is awarded from RSC in the spring of the fourth year. The Doctor of Physical Therapy is awarded from the Sage Colleges at the end of the seventh year. The first formal review for eligibility to progress into the professional program will occur at the end of the fall semester of the fourth year at RSC. Students not meeting the requirements for acceleration at that time will be re-reviewed at the end of the spring semester. If they meet the requirements at that time, they will be admitted on a space-available basis.
Admission Requirements for the 4+3 Program
High School Applicants:
Students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT directly from high school are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT providing all prerequisite courses, academic and program requirements are met in the 4+3 program. The successful high school applicant will meet admission requirements to RSC.
Transfer students who have completed courses at another institution may apply for admission to RSC for the Bachelor’s degree leading to the Doctor of Physical Therapy. Transfer students who are admitted to the pre-professional level of the DPT are guaranteed continuation into the professional DPT providing all prerequisite courses, academic and program requirements are met in the 4+3 program. The successful transfer applicant will demonstrate the following academic profile:
- Earned overall 3.250 GPA for all college coursework
- Earned Science GPA of at least 3.250 in DPT Program prerequisite science coursework completed to date (Anatomy & Physiology I and II; Cell Biology, Chemistry I and II; and Physics I and II)
- Minimum grade of “C” or better in all PT Program prerequisite courses to be transferred from another institution.
Two Year Articulation Agreements
Russell Sage College has articulation agreements with many 2-year institutions that provide a seamless transfer into RSC and guarantee admission into the DPT program. For more information about the agreements, please visit the 4+3 Doctor of Physical Therapy Program web site http://www.sage.edu/rsc/academics/programs/4plus3_dpt/.
Prerequisite Support Courses for Admission into the Professional Program
The following courses must be completed prior to beginning the professional program.
Select one Chemistry sequence (NS): 8 Credits
Select one Physics sequence (NS): 8 Credits
Select one Statistics Course (QR): 4 Credits
NS: Fulfills RSC Natural Science general education course
SS: Fulfills RSC Social Science general education course
QR: Fulfills RSC Quantitative Reasoning general education course
Academic Requirements to progress into the Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Completion of the bachelor’s degree and DPT Program prerequisite courses prior to beginning the DPT Program
- Completion of a minimum of one year in residence at RSC to meet the undergraduate major and general education requirements and DPT Program prerequisites
- Earned minimum of grade of “C” or better in all DPT Program prerequisite courses
- No more than three repeated courses of previously passed courses (any grade other than “F” or “W”). The grade of the 2nd attempt will be the grade used in GPA calculations
- Earned overall GPA of at least 3.250 for all college coursework
- Earned science GPA of at least 3.250 in DPT Program prerequisite science coursework (Anatomy & Physiology I and II, Cell Biology, Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II)
- Completion of at least 40 hours of physical therapy clinical observation under the direction of a licensed physical therapist before beginning the professional program
- Completion of the progression process (4+3 students only)
Procedures for Progression into the DPT Program
For students who entered RSC directly from high school:
By December 1 of the fourth year students progressing into the DPT Program will:
- Arrange for a meeting with their DPT Program faculty advisor
- Complete DPT Program application forms (Academic Standards Statement, Clinical Observation Document, Prerequisite Form) available from the Physical Therapy Department office or the web page: www.sage.edu/academics/health-sciences/programs/dpt/admission/
- Submit transcripts from all college institutions attended (if not already on file)
- Provide a current resume
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a Sage faculty member
- Submit a career goals essay
For students who entered RSC as transfer students:
Students who transferred into RSC from another college must complete the online application process through the Physical Therapist Central Application Service, known as PTCAS. For more information about this process please visit the Physical Therapy Department web page or the PTCAS web page (both are listed below).
- Arrange for an interview with their DPT Program faculty advisor
- Complete the online application process through PTCAS (www.ptcas.org)
- Complete DPT Program supplemental application form for PTCAS applicants available on the Physical Therapy Department web page: http://www.sage.edu/academics/health_sciences/programs/dpt/admission/
- Submit transcripts from all college institutions attended to The Sage Colleges (if not already on file)