- The ultimate responsibility for fulfilling graduation requirements rests with the individual student. Students should regularly review their academic information with their advisors to make certain that requirements for degrees are being met.
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average. *Some major programs require a higher cumualtive GPA. See specific program pages for more information.
- Completion of 120 total credits (minimum) is required for the baccalaureate degree. *Some major programs require more than 120 credits. See specific program pages for mnore information.
- Thirty of the last 45 credit hours must be completed in residence.
- Students must satisfy all General Education and major program requirements
- A Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) must include a minimum of 90 credit hours in the liberal arts and science. [L]
- A Bachelor of Science degree (BS) must include a minimum of 60 credit hours in the liberal arts and science. [L]
- A Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA) must include a minimum of 30 credit hours in the liberal arts and science.
- Major Requirements: In order to earn a bachelor’s degree, students must successfully complete a major program.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.20 is required for all courses taken to complete a major, including required support courses. *Some major programs require a higher major GPA. See specific program pages for more information.
- All students must take at least half of the major coursework at The Sage Colleges.
- The determination of standards of performance acceptable for continuance in a major is the responsibility of the appropriate academic department and the Dean of the College.
A minor is a cohesive group of courses that allows students to explore, in a structured way, an area of interest outside the major. Each minor is defined by one or several academic departments and consists of at least six one-semester courses usually totaling 18 to 24 credits. Only two of the required minor courses may also count toward major or another minor’s requirements. A minimum of 12 required credits for the minor must be completed at Sage.
Minors are commonly declared at the end of the sophomore year, but may be declared any time before the completion of the drop/add period in the first term of the senior year or before completion of 87 credit hours, whichever comes later. Successful completion of at least a one-semester course in the discipline is a prerequisite to such declaration.
Upon declaration of a minor, students are assigned to a faculty advisor in that program. Minors are optional at Sage. Completion of a minor(s) is designated on student transcripts if all requirements are met, including a GPA in the minor of at least 2.200.
Second Bachelor’s Degree
Students may apply up to 75 credit hours from a previous degree toward a second bachelor degree at Sage College of Albany. A minimum of 45 additional hours must be earned at Sage, and will include at least half the major requirements for the second degree. Second bachelor degree students possessing an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in the United States are exempt from general education requirements. Students holding bachelor’s degrees from international institutions may appeal to the Academic Dean for a waiver of all or a portion of general education requirements.
The Dean’s List is published twice a year following each fall and spring semester and honors full-time Sage College of Albany and Russell Sage College students with a cumulative term GPA of 3.500 or higher. In order to be eligible for Dean’s List honors, students must complete at least 12 semester hours with A-F letter grades in that semester and have no grades of “Incomplete” (I) or “Research Pending” (RP). A student with an incomplete may petition the Dean’s Office for recognition after the incomplete is satisfied.
Students enrolled part-time at Sage may earn Dean’s List honors as well. Students who are registered as part-time matriculated degree students will be evaluated for honors once for each 12 credit hours accumulated. Students are eligible for the Dean’s List if they have completed at least 12 credits over one to three terms (including summer) in which a grade point average of 3.500 or above is achieved.
Students must have at least 45 credit hours at Sage above the 100-level and earn a GPA of at least 3.5 for all Sage credits. The baccalaureate degree is awarded as follows:
Cum Laude: Sage GPA between 3.500 and 3.690
Magna Cum Laude: Sage GPA of 3.700 to 3.890
Summa Cum Laude: Sage GPA 3.900 or higher
Students who have attained a high degree of excellence in the work of their major requirements are awarded Program Honors upon degree completion. The GPA requirement for Program Honors is 3.500 based on all required courses for a major program, including support courses completed at Sage.
• Notation of Program Honors will be recorded on the permanent transcript.
Valedictorian and Salutatorian
Each spring the College selects an undergraduate valedictorian and salutatorian. The designation of valedictorian and salutatorian is applied to students who have completed a minimum of 45 credits above the 100-level at The Sage Colleges and hold the highest cumulative GPAs, first to be awarded valedictorian and second to be awarded salutatorian status. If there is a tie, the designation is awarded to the students who have completed the most credits at The Sage Colleges.
Previous August graduates, previous December graduates, and upcoming May graduates will be considered.
Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
The 176th chapter of the Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society was installed at Sage in 1975. Students in any major may be elected to the society in the spring term of the junior or senior year. To be eligible for election, juniors must rank in the upper 2 to 3 percent and seniors in the upper 10 percent of their class, with a cumulative average of 3.5 or better.
The Sage Colleges confers degrees three times each year: in August, December, and May. A Commencement ceremony is held only in May. Students become candidates for graduation upon the filing of a completed “Graduation Application” with the filing fee with the Office of Student Services. The filing deadlines are:
February 15 for May degree conferral
June 1 for August degree conferral
October 1 for December degree conferral
For conferral of a degree in May, August or December, students must have met all degree requirements by the end of the semester or summer session preceding degree conferral date. Students enrolled in internships, externships, clinicals, student teaching, practica, or courses at another institution which are scheduled to end within one month after conferral date must supply the Office of Student Services with documentation of satisfactory progress (a letter from the instructor on the college’s letterhead indicating an average of C- or better) to be eligible for degree conferral and receipt of a final transcript.
Participation in Commencement Exercises
For participation in Commencement, baccalaureate students must meet the requirements for graduation by Commencement day, or be within two courses (inlcuding internships, externships, clinicals, student teaching or practica) of completing requirements and be enrolled in the subsequent summer session(s) or semester at The Sage Colleges. Students with up to two courses worth of incomplete and/or Research in Progress grades from the semester prior to Commencement day are normally eligible to participate in Commencement but are not eligible for degree conferral. The Dean of the College will consider petition for exceptions to the above regulations, but they will be granted for only the most compelling reasons. The Dean will report the reasons for any exceptions made to the Academic Standards Committee.